December 08, 2005

Harry Potter, professional bully

As you've likely guessed from the headline, it's time to talk about the deeper machinations of the mind. This stems from a discussion I had with a friend the other day. We were watching Harry Pothead and the Stoned Philosopher when she suddenly cried out: This is crap. Well, she didn't say it like that, and besides, she speaks norwegish, but still. Her main source of aggression was the blatantly obvious way in which the characters are presented: The bad brats are cowardly and stupid, while Potter & friends are kind, courageous, succesful, violent (but only when they 'need' to be) and petty. Wait a second. Petty? Oh, yes. The nice kids love nothing better than seeing their rivals get beaten and humiliated. My friend continued her tirade by saying how kids should't be exposed to this and how she would keep her own children from seeing it.

That's really where I chimed in (arguing that kids are capable of at least some thought), but that's beside the point. The Potter series is, as far as I'm concerned, quite harmless in its obvious escapism. Besides that, I agree with her completely, and had the same thoughts myself the first time I saw it. But let's leave Harry to his evil schemings and talk about something far more serious. Today, you see, I read the newspaper (and this is where you all go, "oooh!"). It told me that 18% of Norwegians between 18 and 25 years thinks torture is acceptable and a valuable tool in the skirmishes against terrorism. When every damn military intelligence expert will tell you that torture does not work, how in the pus-soaked hell have people gotten this impression? Yes, 24, I'm looking at you. The wildly overrated TV series throws torture at the viewer as often as possible, as many of you probably know. But the worst thing is, it's the good guys who're doing it. And they always get the information they need.

Of course, 24 is not alone in this ridiculous point of view. Basically, Hollywood (and most other parts of western culture) are telling us this: If the Bad People (tm) are violent, we, the Good Guys (tm), need to be even more violent. Violence is key, violence is God in western society. To me, this is far more disturbing than some kid who fights evil by waving his penis, excuse me, his 'magic wand', and plays airborne rugby without having to adjust his glasses once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, she never said she would keep her children from seeing shit like Harry Pothead. She doesn't live in a bubble, in wich she is planning to give birh to, and raise her children. Kids have always been and will always be exposed to so called "crap". I think what I, I mean she wanted to express was the importance of guidance, the need for following up and the tender care wich lays in a parent getting involved in his/hers offspring, trying to prevent "The Crap" from having to much influence on the child.

Rudevalley said...

Actually, her exact words were "I will not allow my kids to watch this movie". Well, again, it was in Norwegian, but that's about as direct a translation as you can get. I should think that, if someone would want to stress 'the importance of guidance', they would rather choose to say something like "If my kids see this movie I will discuss it with them afterwards, and encourage them to consider whether Harry really is such a great guy".
But maybe that's just me.