February 09, 2008

Fear is the Fun-Filler

I tell you, people are afraid of everything. Just the other day, I was talking to a colleague when the conversation turned to VHS players, and I offered the insightful bit of trivia that a friend of mine reputedly owns wall-to-wall of horror films in this jurassic-era video format. Why I said this I have no idea, but it's my general impression that everyone enjoys spouting useless bits of information, constantly, and so I guess I do, too. Anyway, no matter why I said it, I certainly did not expect a reaction like the one she had: She was surprised that someone would watch that many horror films, and wondered if he still is right in the head. She actually seemed to believe that watching lots and lots of video nasties would automatically turn one into a babbling psychotic child-molester or something. I had to assure her that, not only is he still somewhat sane, he is also probably the most likable person I know. This may say something about my circle of friends, but that's beside the point. I also felt it would be wise to inform her that I, myself, probably saw more R-rated movies when I was 12 than I've done since I turned 18. Since I presently work as a middle-school teacher this information should probably not have been disclosed, but what can you do?

I can understand the worry that young children might (allow me to stress the maybe here) be influenced by watching violent movies, or playing violent games, or listening to classical music. But if people start to assume that naughty art automatically makes naughty people, we, and by "we" I mean society in general, have got ourselves a serious problem. Debating what effect violent imagery could have on someones mind, be it a child or just some simpleton like yourself, is justifiable. But slandering isn't. If you can't think twice about something before you make up your mind, then you don't deserve the right to. If you want to live in fear, go live underneath a rollercoaster. Stop worrying about things you aren't qualified to worry about, because if you do, you make your whole culture seem like it's fostering idiots. And you don't want that, do you? We sure don't.

Do you have an Ironic Erection yet? Because mine is massive. After all, why do we watch horror films? Well, aside from getting our sadistic, misogynistic kicks, I mean? To be frightened. And if you've become too hardened and can't get your scares anymore, at least you can console yourself with the fact that the way you choose to spend your (hopefully deserved) spare time induces nightmares in middle-aged housewives all over the world.

Yeah, I thought you'd like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I know that guy.. and yes he is damaged. sexually and beyond repair!
T