August 21, 2008

Meet Sylvia

The first time I attempted suicide was at the age of seven. This teacher, this complete bastard who I only ever knew by his last name (mr. Morris, I think) had told me I was fat and stupid. So I found a knife somewhere and cut myself. It's weird, I don't really think I knew what suicide meant at that time, it was just some stupid shit I'd seen at some TV show or other. Luckily, said stupid show had shown the girl slash across her wrist, rather than along the vein, which I know now is the sensible thing to do if you want to kill yourself (I've since discovered a passion for the subject, obviously).

Anyway, to get back at the teacher I accused him of attempting to rape me, which, under the circumstances, people immediately believed. Why else would a seven-year-old try to off herself, right? Of course, it didn't stick, but at least the prick never got to work as a teacher again. Looking back, I'll admit it was maybe a bit harsh, but then again he was a major asshole, and thus it can be seen as a service to humanity, of sorts. I mean, seriously, you just don't tell an overweight, somewhat slow seven year old girl that she's fat and stupid. The whole thing, the accusation, was my older sisters idea, by the way. She was beautiful, twice my age at the time. I've since outlived her, but I guess I'll be getting to that in a minute.

I don't think that's where my obsession with suicide started, though. At least I didn't try it again until I was about 13. If you thought the Morris incident was the last of my weight and intelligence being the object of mockery, then you would be wrong. I heard it every day for six fucking years. One day I just had enough, friendless as I was at the time. I had the house to myself for a weekend, and (somewhat embarrassingly) I lighted a ton of candles in the bathroom and tried to drown myself. Now, you're probably picturing a bunch of pills lying on the floor, or an empty bottle or bag of weed or something. But no, I tried to hold my head under water and breathe. Didn't work. I told you it was embarrassing, but give me a break, I was just a clueless kid back then.

Instead of trying again, I decided to go anorexic. Worked a charm. Almost killed me though, so I guess that could be labeled as attempt number three? Doesn't really matter, I'm still alive, after all. I tried improving my grades, as well. I did feel better about myself for a while, got some friends. And then - do you fucking believe it? My stupid sister, who I'd adored all my life, who'd always protected me, who was the perfect picture of mental health, goes and offs herself. I mean, I'd tried this shit three times already, without success, and she gets it right the first time? Still pisses me off. I probably don't need to tell you this, but the whole thing left me just a bit unstable.

I took a boy to get me going again, though. He was actually a real bitch, but I puppy loved him like some pathetic cartoon character. I only talked to him the one time, he crushed me completely, and I ended up on this tall fucking bridge. Broke both my legs, but survived, yet again. In the hospital I got a lot of time to think. You're probably rolling your eyes at this, but the whole ordeal actually taught me a lot about love, and how sceptical you have to be when dealing with it. During those few weeks I changed a bit, became less shy (or possibly just a bit more reckless, but I guess that's the same thing, really). I started working out a lot also, even after my legs had recuperated. I've always been a bit vengeful, and if my sister'd been alive she'd probably come up with something cruel and sneaky (she was lovely that way). But me, I just wanted to beat the shit out of the little bitchboy. I did, eventually, and accidentally made him a cripple. Yeah, accidentally, I swear! Made me feel good at the time, though.

This was the first time someone connected my dots, by the way. Made me go to therapy and all that fucking jazz. So, you're not my first, sorry. Anyway, despite all the commotion, I felt better about myself than ever before. I was even beginning to like life a little. So, you're probably wondering, like, why does she do this, why does she still want to end it all, right? After all, I've a dozen or so attempts to my name since then. The truth is, I don't want to, right? I just want to, you know - . You know?

The thing is, every time I've tried to kill myself, it's changed me. I've become a better person. More sure of myself, more self-aware. And that's why I do it. It's a way of self-improvement, kind of. Probably some sort of addiction as well, I don't know. But now, you know, my life is good. I love life right now. I want to stop, but I can't. I want to stop because one day I'll make it, I'll actually succeed at it, yeah? And I don't want to. Not anymore.

No comments: