November 16, 2008

Way Back Home

Just for the record: My homestead is such a major metropolis that fighter jets perform high-risk excercises just above grond level here. True story! I'm told this is because we're not actually on any of the respectable maps, only the rebellious, dangerously unstable ones. I spoke with a government representative about this, and he replied, with a confused look, "what? You mean there's people up there? Like in that movie, The Hills Have Eyes?". At this point, I did what any reasonable person would do: I sighed, rolled my eyes, and went home to duck and cover whenever those damn planes show up.

Anyway, all this is probably the reason why I feel so at home in the Capital Wasteland. It's just like home, with added dismemberment. And better music. In fact, the music in Fallout 3 is nothing short of spectacular (although I should probably point out that the dude in that video is not, in fact, Bob Crosby). The best music ever included in a computer game? You betcha. Just think about it: How many games make you sing happily along with lines like "pretty flowers need the sun", while splattering giant mutants into bloody little bits with a portable nuclear weapon? It's pure magic. Besides, having been exposed to her heavenly vocals, I now want to dig up the corpse of Billie Holiday and marry it in Vegas.

That can't be normal.

No comments: